Floating Architecture


Floating Architecture

Dimensions: 48"x9.5"x2"

Materials: black masking tape, masking tape, white Reeves paper, cardboard

Artist's Statement: For this piece, I chose to draw inspiration from two different types/eras of architecture. The types of architecture that I chose were Byzantine and Modern. Those two types of architecture seemed so drastically different from each other and I wanted to push my limits to see if I could find a way to merge them.

Initially, I thought about connecting multiple multi-sized cardboard boxes that had domes on top of them -- the boxes would serve as a nod to Modern architecture and the domes would represent Byzantine architecture. As I went on, though, that idea did not seem as interesting to me and I searched for other solutions. While on that search, I came across a method of creating domes out of masking tape that I really enjoyed which created an intriguing outcome. Running with that, I chose to make a plethora of domes.
After multiple ideas were thrown around, I decided to make a collection of masking tape domes and cubes and connect them all together. After those were all seen together, it needed something else. So, I created protruding pieces coming out from each side of the collection of domes and boxes. The protruding pieces were long rectangles of cardboard with black masking tape wrapped in a spiral around them, which added another mixture of both Byzantine and Modern architecture.



To create the domes, I used a plastic half of what I believe to be an ornament. I covered the plastic half-sphere in two layers of regular masking tape and then layered strips of black masking tape on top of that. Then, I took the making tape dome off of the plastic piece and turned it inside out and layered more strips of black masking tape on top of that.



To make the black boxes, I measured out the dimensions of cubes on thick white paper and cut along those dimension lines. I then taped around those cubes with black masking tape.


I introduced a new element by cutting up strips of cardboard and wrapping the black masking tape around each strip. I then connected the domes, squares, and strips by stapling them together. 







The piece was then suspended from the ceiling using monofilament. The sculpture was suspended in front of spotlights which provided interesting shadows against the wall behind the piece.


Research Images:








Comments

Popular Posts