Momento



Momento

Materials: white pine wood, hot glue, neon green paint
Dimensions: 3" x 4" x 2"

Artist's Statement: For this piece, I chose to create a small object that brought back fond memories of my childhood. As a kid, my family and I would go camping quite often along with other families that had children the same age as me and my sister. On one specific camping trip, my friend was chewing on her glow in the dark necklace and it burst in her mouth and although it was semi-frightening, it was also quite humorous and it makes me giggle every time I think about it.

I chose to create a rock shape out of the wood because I remember playing with the gravel at the campsites we stayed at and collecting those pieces of gravel thinking that they were really cool rocks. The wood I chose is white pine because we were often surrounded by white pine trees on the camping trips we went on.

The "nest" that the rock sits in was made out of hot glue and neon green paint. I chose to make a web with the hot glue to show the chaos of the situation and I painted it green to represent the glow necklace that broke. 





In process:












For this project, I started with a chunk of wood similar to that pictured in the photo above (top middle). I then cut that chunk in half and began sanding the piece down using the sander. Once the piece was smaller and more manageable, I used sand paper to smooth out the rough edges and make the "rock" smoother.

After making the "rock", I made a holder for it out of hot glue. The hot glue was placed in a spiderweb-like pattern on top of a plastic dome and was allowed to cool before I peeled it off and painted it with green paint. That process was repeated twice. 


Research: 

http://foundations3ddesign.blogspot.com/2017/01/carrie-dickens-designer.html
http://foundations3ddesign.blogspot.com/2016/12/aaron-s-moran-artist.html
http://foundations3ddesign.blogspot.com/2016/05/silvia-heger-artist.html


Comments

Popular Posts